Earth day is actually a day about the education of environmental issues.
With the rapid escalation of anti-environmental activities, the need of celebrating Earth Day has become an essential part for the betterment of our lives.
Earth day is now a holiday which is celebrated in the world wide. It is celebrated throughout a week in some countries, which is termed as Earth Week.
Earth Day was first organised in 1970. April 22nd is the day for celebrating Earth Day. Around twenty millions Americans appeared on the streets and showcased their concern about the issues of earth.
Founder Of Earth Day :
- Gaylord Anton Nelson was the first to come up with the idea of Earth Day.
- He was a politician of America.
- Served the nation being a governor as well.
- By launching Earth Day, he brought a new wave of environmental awareness among the masses.
- The twentieth century was the time when he stood for the environmental issues and the injustices in the society.
- He took stand for the minorities and those who were disadvantaged.
- He never risked the social or ecological matters for the sake of economical or technical development.
- As a senator, it was difficult to draw the attention of his colleagues towards the vulnerability of the environment.
- For his country people, he was a well-liked law maker.
What Is The Purpose Of Celebrating Earth Day :
- With the avidity of leading a fast and advanced life, we have a deep inclination towards urbanisation at the cost of risking our environment. Earth day creates awareness about the growing exploitation of our greens and blues.
- Earth day as the name suggests, concerns not only the environment but all the issues that the earth deals with. Be it poverty, unemployment, child labour etc.
- The main goal of Earth day is to unite people from various cultures and take knowledge of the on-going issues of earth and inspire them to do their bit.
- It advocates the idea of eco-friendly activities.
- It encourages the youth to be more responsible towards the earth.
- Earth Day basically intends on bringing the vital issues to the public eye.
How Earth Day Is Celebrated :
- Earth Day is considered to be the most celebrated environmental affair.
- Earth Day is usually celebrated through rallies around cities with millions of people participating on it.
- People participating on the rally paint their faces green, blue and other different objects explaining their concern for Earth.
- They carry banners that evoke responsibilities for society and ecology.
- They call out slogans that demonstrate ecological concerns.
- There are street plays portraying different environmental or societal issues.
- There are plays and talks organised which are often telecasted on televisions.
Here Are Some Of The Earth Day Slogans :
- Our earth, our abode.
- Save earth, save life.
- Healthier the earth, healthier the lives.
- Time to pay back to the mother nature.
- Don’t be mean, always go green.
- Plant a tree, plant a life.
- Say no to environment abuse.
- Be gentler towards earth.
Ways To Celebrate Earth Day This April :
- Tree Planting– Planting a tree would be the first step of keeping the earth healthy. It takes nothing to plant a tree in your garden or balcony. Not only it will give you greenery but it will add to the beauty of your little abode.
- Recycling- When you throw a used plastic bottle outside your balcony, you only get rid of that object which is of no use to you anymore. But it harms the environment and adds to the filth that is already there. A plastic bottle may turn into a beautiful hanging flower tub or a flower vase with a little touch of creativity.
- Choose non-disposable plates and napkins- Earth Day brings a holiday with it apart from awareness. You might want to make your holiday a little special by inviting a few friends or going out on a lunch. Use non-disposable plates and napkins, and keep the wastage minimal.
- Activities for children:
- Face painting.
- Earth Day flag making.
- Rallies around the colony.
- Planting trees.
- Eco picnic.
Today, looking at the issues that the earth goes through, we must take an initiative for a better tomorrow. No matter how meagre the step is, a step taken is a step ahead.