Everyone wants to become a fast learner, whether you are learning a new language or playing a musical instrument. Learning new things in less time is always beneficial for you. But the problem that arises after learning is how to retain everything you learn. Here we provide you some tips that will help you to retain the information.
- NEVER STUDY CONTINUOUSLY – The ability of our brain to retain information reduces after every 30 minutes. Go for a break after every 25-30 minutes and engage yourself with fun activities or something which boosts your mind.
- HAVE A STUDY AREA – It is very important to decide where to study because your surroundings can distract you. Like, study in bed makes you feel sleepy, study in front of the TV vanish your concentration power and you cannot retain it for a longer time. And the most important one, especially for girls, never study in a room which have a mirror. It can distract you more than anything else.
- SAY NO TO CRAMMING – We always say that, we forget what we studied in last semester. The reason is we forget only that information which we cannot understand or which we cram. To retain something in our mind, it must be clearly impressed on the brain. Schedule study sessions and review information in the mind.
- TEACH SOMEONE ELSE – The best way to retain any information is teaching someone else. It helps you to organize the concepts which you have gone through during learning and you will approach the concepts systematically rather than just learning. Define new terms and give real life examples.
- RELATE IT WITH WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW – Whenever you learn something which is completely new, try to connect it with something which you have already learned. Researchers explained “If prior knowledge is available and accessible, it becomes easier to retain new incoming information too”.
- ACCEPT YOUR MISTAKES – We all feel proud when we accomplish a task without making a mistake. But the reality is; a research shows that making mistake while learning benefits memory. Because when you make a mistake to find out the right answer, you are more likely to remember the information later on.
This may be complex for you initially, but once you make it a habit you will be able to remember 90% of everything you learn.