UML (Unified Modelling Language)
UML is a standard language for defining and describing the software artefacts. It helps in visualizing, constructing and describing the functionalities of the proposed system. UML is approved by the International Organization of Standards.
UML Component Diagram
The component diagrams are important diagram in the software engineering, the purpose of component diagram is to describe the components of the functionalities required to be given in the proposed software. It is an important element in the UML. The component diagrams help in visualizing the physical component of the system, it also helps in describing the static view of the system. It helps in constructing the executable through forward and re-Engineering. With this the relationship and dependencies of the component is also described through it. These component diagram are very useful in designing the-
- Modelling of the components of the system.
- Designing the Schema of the Database.
- Modelling the Executable of the application
- Modelling the source code of the system
Component diagram example
Component diagram is also termed as object oriented diagram, this diagram also helps in understanding the object and their functionality, inter relationship among the objects.
The above diagram describe about the KMS system, describing each component- Reservation Centre, Care given Centre, Accounting Centre and Communication Centre clearly with their level of association in them, their sub components and elements are also clearly described here. With the help of this diagram designing class for object oriented programming is comparatively easier.
Some Important points to consider before drawing the UML Component diagram-
- First identify the artefacts or elements required to design the component diagram clearly such as Files to be used, Library to be attached and the relationship among these artefacts.
- Give meaningful name to each elements.
- Then prepare a mental diagram of these elements.
- Write important notes at side for future clarification.
Terminology and symbols used in UML Diagram
- Use case
- Active class
Visual studio component diagram
The visual studio system provides the facility to design the UML component diagram, with each upgraded versions the better facility for UML Component diagram also comes. In the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (Visual Studio 2017), in order to design the UML diagram click on architecture in Menu and then click on UML Diagram. The UML Feature in the Visual Studio provides the following elements-
- Component- It represents the reusable system Functionality.
- Provided Interface Port- It represents the group messages or calls to be implement
- Required Interface Port- It represents the group messages or calls to be send.
- Dependency- Represents the required interface for other.
- Part- A component of similar type or subtype.
- Part Assembly- It represents the assembly of the parts.
- Delegation- It represents the link between the interface and how it links further.
- Collapse/Expand- Use to show or hide the Components.
- Comment- Represents the comment
UML component diagram through Visio Tool
There are several software tool available for creating the UML diagrams, these tool provide easy and readymade framework for creating the UML for proposed application. Visio is one of the popular software tool for creating the UML diagrams. In the latest version of the Visio the advance facility are available. The Microsoft Visio Professional 2016 is the powerful application for designing various diagrams. It is compatible with all the versions of the windows and other Microsoft Applications.
For creating the UML Diagram on the Visio, One has to select the UML diagram option from the menu and can draw the diagrams easily with the help of facilities available through it.
Example of UML Diagram through Microsoft Visio Professional
This was a brief Detail of UML diagram, hope it will help you. In any case logic and depth knowledge of software engineering helps a lot in designing good diagrams. It is a simple approach and lot of study and research can be done in this field.